Monday, May 26, 2008

The Back Country

So me and Charlie are way bored with walking behind the apartments and being confined with the narrow uhhhh confines of the dog park. So, I happened to read about this place called the Big Little Econ State Forest that's about 20 minutes away, not a long ways by time but it feels a whole world away - which is fantastic. The preserve gets its name due to the fact that the Little Econlockhatchee river and the Big Econlockhatchee river meet here. The park has several thousands of square miles that have been roped off to preserve this unique environment, being new to Florida I thought it was totally awesome. Very dense primary and secondary jungle growth here with spooky moss covered creek inlets in places and the river itself is an eerily dark and deep river. However I don't think the locals think twice about swimming it, nobody seems to care much about gators around here. They say most gators are too small to be threat - but there is always that chance a big one might be lurking just beneath the surface. Oh and another nice thing about the park, there are actually features to the landscape, its not just a flat plot of land. It would be great to mountain bike if it weren't for the very narrow trails and the unfathomable mass of spider webs you would collect on your face. Yes there are tons of them I took a lot of them out using my face just by hiking through the place. I went about 3 miles (round trip) took about two hours there and back again. Oh and two of us went in, but 8 of us came out. Me Charlie and 6 ticks - I hate ticks - nasty little bugs.

Tammy is visiting her brother in Key West so that's why its just me and Charlie on this little adventure. She also has the camera I think so I took these pictures on my phone.


2 comments:

Colleen said...

Those are decent pics for a camera phone! Miss you guys!

~kristi said...

ditto Colleen, how funny!