Monday, September 1, 2008

And now for something completely different

So how are things in Florida and whats it like living the in a city where the average IQ of a person drops from 120 to.... I-dunno about 2 when they slide behind the wheel of their brand new Chevy Bumper Car, or Dodge Ram-the-guy-in-front-of-you-cause-he-looks-funny-and-waited-two-seconds-to-long-after-the-green-light-and-man-that-pisses-me-off-i-have-no-patience-for-people-maybe-I'm-Cuban-i-don't-know-all-i-know-is-I'm-totally-$*%&#-nuts-when-I-get-in-a-car


So in case you didn't catch the subtleties of my hints that elude to that fact that there may be something in the water here and it maybe turn people into totally insane, rude, unethical dare devils on the highway let me say it again. The drivers in Orlando SUUUUUCKKKK! And I truly mean that from depths of my heart, with great passion and vigor. Now I'm used to bad traffic, bumper to bumper sitting around for 30 minutes to an hour, but where I'm from (Austin, Texas) people are generally considerate and mindful of other people, at the very least they grasp the concept that there in fact ARE other people. Now you may be thinking, he is exaggerating its really not that bad, and I will tell you; no its actually worse words just fail to describe. I digress... what I was going to say was: the traffic is not bad here its just the drivers. Example: there was an intersection, 4 lanes for both intersecting roads, they light at the road started flashing red. In "normal people land" this means 4-way stop, stop, look make sure there is not, I dunno, a huge car in front of you before you proceed into the intersection. However, in "crazy people land aka Orlando Florida" this means everyone stop at the same time, so far so good, and then everybody go at the same time (nooooooo!) get to the middle and stop because there is no more road left to drive on that isn't occupied :( and somewhere in that pea brain is a little voice that says.... no not really it doesn't say anything.


Ok so that's my rant about the drivers here, and it truly is a singular experience driving the roads of Orlando, its probably the most talked about topic at Full Sail (about 95% of students there are not from Florida)


Next rant - the weather: HOLY COW the weather here sucks, all it does is rain - maybe that's cause there is a hurricane - pssshhh - like that would cause a lot of rain. At first the rain is nice, I generally like the rain but seriously 2 weeks of straight rain? My dog is going nuts from being inside all the time. Now that we got one hurricane done another is forming, ughhhh, the joys of living on the southern Atlantic coast, I can't wait to move. Everything gets so wet, then the water sits and huge swarms of mosquitoes as thick as molasses chase you down and try to suck you dry. After while the water starts to stink, a thick miasma hangs in the air, smells like pooh and sulfur - I know - pleasant. But everybody says the winter months are great - if you can make it!


So I have been asked for pictures and stuff, no pictures of Full Sail yet - and not much to see of hurricane Fay just lots of rain but I did take this one picture on my phone that I think is pretty comical


In other news...
Tammy started brushing Charlies teethe with an electric tooth brush check out this little video

6 comments:

Greg R. said...

I sure miss that dog, one of the best I've ever known. I remember her bugs eyes when she was just a pup. Seems like forever since I've seen her. I wonder if she still remembers me? Also, whats up with the silly umbrella I mean really!?!

Colleen said...

I hope that toothbrush is Charlie's toothbrush alone. If not eeewww! The tiny umbrella is hilarious by the way! We miss you guys!

trichards77 said...

Sometimes I use her toothbrush, I like that residue of meat flavored toothpaste - so tasty.

Tom Richards, aka OldWeirdDad said...

Finally, a blog entry that I can understand! Data structures I don't know, but rain, mosquitos, and idiots on the road - I can relate. After all, I grew up in the Houston area, the model for all those things.

So what was your MBTI type? I took this test a couple of times but can't remember mine. Whatever it is, it is what you would expect from an mild mannered accountant.

Charlie, Charlie, Charlie! What beautiful teeth you have.

On the programming thing, it sounds like the acorn didn't fall far from the tree. When I was learning doing databases, I could work long hours without realizing the passage of time. That's because it was a challenge, like a puzzle, and that is something that I could not resist.

Reminder: Send pics for our digital picture frame. I have a good one of you and Tammy at Coco Beach, but need more. Would like a couple of super dog too.

Unknown said...

Ugh! The rain! We have that problem here too. It's always raining, and then when it stops it's just hot, muggy, sticky, smelly, yucky and ewwie... anyhoo, I like the video of Charlie, it's very funny.

Rob said...

No doubt drivers here are nuts. I'm starting the game dev program next week at FS and I'm still shocked by how bad traffic and general transportation is here. Maybe I'll see ya around.